Re: Viewing start and end of the identical buffer in two windows

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: Viewing start and end of the identical buffer in two windows
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 16:53:48 +0900

martin rudalics <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I often divide a window that visits a big buffer to see the current
>> place and another place, e.g.: C-x 1 M-< C-x 2 C-x o M->
>> However, Emacs got to show the same contents in those two windows
>> nowadays.  Is there an option to make it behave as before?

> Please be a bit more specific.  Do you mean that when you do M-> in the
> lower window the cursor in the upper window moves to the end of the
> buffer as well?  Also, please tell us when you first noticed the new
> behavior and which Emacs version(s) you use.

> Thanks, martin

The problem has gone after rebuilding Gnus.  Oops!  I guess what
caused it was Gnus, the `article-update-date-lapsed' function
that runs with the 1-sec timer.  But it seems to have been fixed
thanks to Lars a moment ago:

 * gnus-art.el (article-update-date-lapsed): Try to avoid having point
 move around by not using save-window-excursion.  It seems to work...

Sorry for the noise.

Regards,