Re: The X window system, yanking, and pasting using the mouse

From: Manoj Srivastava
Subject: Re: The X window system, yanking, and pasting using the mouse
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 19:33:08 -0800

On Wed, Jan 26 2011, Miles Bader wrote:

> Manoj Srivastava <address@hidden> writes:
>>  What I want is the  behaviour I think I used to have in Emacs on
>>  GNU/Linux X Windows:
>>   1) Whatever text is pasted when I click <down-mouse-2>
>>      (mouse-yank-primary?) should be the same thing yanked when I type
>>      C-y (yank)
>>   2) Conversely, text that is selected in Emacs, such that it is
>>      inserted with a C-y (yank) should also be the text that is pasted
>>      into, say, an xterm when I do a middle mouse click in there.
>
> I agree, this was very nice behavior.
>
>>         What changes do I need to make to get this?
>
> I've not found a tenable way to simulate the old behavior with the new
> code.

        I would say that this is a regression, then. Before the new
 code, I never had to worry about primary and secondary selections; and
 pasting using a mouse was the same as yanking, and text selected in
 Emacs could easily be passed around to other X Windows applications.

        Is there a possibility for this regression to be fixed? If I
 recall correctly, the new code was supposed to preserve the old
 features, and that does not seem to be the case here.

        manoj
--
"Only a mediocre man is always at his best." Somerset Maugham
Manoj Srivastava <address@hidden> <http://www.golden-gryphon.com/>