Re: Making gnulib imports build on Windows

From: Andy Moreton
Subject: Re: Making gnulib imports build on Windows
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 22:40:30 +0000

On Wed 26 Jan 2011, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Until now, building Emacs for Windows did not require Sed.  I see the
> following possible ways to deal with this:

[...]

> I don't like asking every end user to have Sed, especially since many
> Windows ports of Sed are notoriously broken (I had to port it myself
> to get a reliable tool).  And since 3) sounds like wheel reinvention,
> I tend to alternative 2).
>
> Comments and ideas are welcome.

Although Cygwin and MSYS are widely used for building emacs for Windows,
I agree that option 2) is the best. The maintainer-only rules
for generating the pre-canned configuration and headers should minimise
the doffernces from the standard POSIX makefile infrastructure as far as
possible.

In a perfect world, this would allow the use of mingw32 or mingw-w64
cross compilers to build Windows emacs binaries on POSIX hosts.

What can I do to help this happen ?

    AndyM