Re: RE : Re: Files from gnulib

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: RE : Re: Files from gnulib
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 07:42:16 -0500

> From: Jim Meyering <address@hidden>
> Cc: Leo <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
> address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 11:52:12 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> From: Leo <address@hidden>
> >> Please don't take that personally.
> >
> > Everything is personal in this world.  People who don't take things
> > personal are people you should stay away of.
>
> ??
> On the contrary.
> Projects can improve/evolve more rapidly when egos don't interfere.

"Personally" != "ego".  People who take their jobs personally are the
best ones I ever met.  Being emotional about your job is not a vice;
on the contrary.

But I _really_, REALLY don't want to start a sub-thread on this.

> I find that people get a lot more real work done when they do not
> interpret constructive criticism of their code as a personal attack.

We are not talking about any criticism of my code.  The analogy is
inappropriate.  There were no technical reasons for rejecting my
simple original suggestion.  Only dogmatic arguments, whose intent is
very clear: to resist any effort, even an infinitesimal one, on the
Posix side, even if it imposes an unduly heavy burden on me and on the
end users.  There's nothing between this and constructive criticism on
the one hand, and "ego" on the other.

> Imagine that you didn't have to worry about 8.3 and Paul did not have
> to jump through its hoops...  How many bugs would you two have fixed with
> the saved time?  How much new code would you have been able to write
> without contributing to this email thread.

Imagine that instead of arguing, the files would be simply renamed.
But we are repeating ourselves.