Re: Still unable to build trunk

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Still unable to build trunk
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 13:23:39 -0800

On 01/23/2011 09:00 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> It sounds harsh to me to ask every one who builds out of VCS to have
> to climb such a steep curve.

I dunno, I just started doing some Emacs development after
about five years' absence, and it was a pretty steep learning
curve for me.  For example, nowhere is it stated that one
really should use the obsolescent Python version 2.6.6,
and that the current Python versions 2.7.1 and 3.1.3
do not work well with the current bzr version.  I had to find
that out myself, the hard way, by making hard-to-diagnose screwups.
By comparison, the autotools requirements of Gnulib
are relatively tame; they are better documented and
they don't rely on people having older-than-current versions.

Anyway, the point is moot, no?  Right now the Emacs VCS
builds out of the box with the same tools as before.
Maintainers don't need to have automake installed
unless they also want to do gnulib-related development,
for which automake is required anyway.