RE: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 19:14:50 -0800

> > Least surprise also means that Emacs tells users what's
> > happening.  My own preference would be to not bind the
> > key by default and give users a new command
> > to bind it to, to pass it through to Windows.
>
> Those two things are contradictory, aren't they?

Which two things - expectations of Emacs users and expectations of Windows
users?  Yes.  Life is contradictory.  Which users and their expectations do we
cater to more in Emacs on Windows?

> And for default things we should care mostly for new users, or?

We can discuss the default behavior separately.  You know my preference.

But the a-b-c I outlined says nothing about the default behavior of any given
key.  It says only that if a key is both unbound and not passed to Windows then
we tell the user it is unbound.

If key Alt-f4 is unbound and in `w32-passthrough-events' then Windows users who
are Emacs newbies will not be surprised, but Emacs users will be surprised.  If
it is bound or it is not in `w32-passthrough-events' then Windows newbies to
Emacs will be surprised, but Emacs users will not be surprised.

What is the "least surprise" for our users?  Does it mean preferentially (a)
Windows users while learning Emacs or (b) most Emacs users most of the time?  We
can disagree.

> an unbound key to be sent to the operating system (as is
> the default for GUI systems)

Really?  Not in Emacs - that's not the default behavior for unbound keys.

There are apparently cases where Emacs cannot do anything to prevent an
OS/window mgr from grabbing an unbound key, but that is certainly not the
default behavior for unbound keys in Emacs.