RE: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 12:24:30 -0800

> > There are 3 possibilities that have been discussed:
> > 1. It is bound in Emacs. Invoke the Emacs binding.
> > 2. It is not bound.  Raise an Emacs unbound error.
> > 3. It is not bound.  Pass Alt-F4 through to Windows.
>
> (global-set-key [M-f4] (lambda () (interactive)...))
> See: with #1 and #3 the user can prevent sending Alt-F4 back to
> Windows. No need for #2.

That's nothing new.  See #1 above - users can bind M-f4.  Everyone has
recognized that from the beginning.

> how is useful for the user to show an unbound error instead of
> doing what is advertised on a menu and a platform's UI standard
> procedure?

Why not?  And why shouldn't a library be able to do that?  Why arbitrarily take
away that control?  An error represents information, and it can be used for
program control.

The technical difficulties in this thread apparently involve how to pass-through
to Windows.  In any case, (AFAICT) they have nothing to do with not allowing
users a choice.  Why preclude that choice if there is no technical reason to?

Why even argue against this?  I really don't understand.  No one is insisting
that Alt-f4 can never be sent to Windows.  And you agree that users have and
should continue to have the choice of binding the key in Emacs.  Why not also
give them the choice over what to do if the key is unbound?  Where's the beef?