Re: Rmail and the raw-text coding system

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Rmail and the raw-text coding system
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 14:19:10 -0500

>> >     I assume it did so because the buffer contained "invalid" code
>> > points.
>> That would mean that the BABYL file is corrupted.  Is it?

>     Not as far as I can tell.  Weird characters are displayed for some
> messages, but that is normal with Rmail 22 as it doesn't understand
> MIME.  I believe the use of raw-text does not lose data.

The BABYL file is supposed to use the emacs-mule encoding.  So if it
contains invalid emacs-mule byte sequences, it presumably means
it's corrupted.  Of course, maybe they are valid sequences which
Emacs23/24 rejects by mistake, or maybe there's yet something else
going on.

But AFAIK BABYL files use a single encoding for the whole file, and
since around Emacs-21.x that single encoding is supposed to be
emacs-mule (and I seem to remember that the BABYL file is supposed to
contain an annotation at the very beginning saying it's using
emacs-mule, if so).

        Stefan