Re: completion-ignored-extensions: match full file names

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: completion-ignored-extensions: match full file names
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 19:13:20 -0500

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: David Reitter <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 10:26:22 -0500
>
> I'd much rather add regexp-support, which will give a lot more
> flexibility and should be pretty easy to implement.  Of course, it will
> have to use a new variable since as you point out the current
> completion-ignored-extensions aren't compatible with
> a regexp interpretation.

I don't object, but this has a disadvantage that we would need to
start using this regexp-based variable right away, to filter out only
literally the ".cvs", ".bzr", ".git" etc. directories, not just any
directory that ends in these extensions.  IOW, introducing the new
variable would mean that the default value of
completion-ignored-extensions will change and the default value of the
new variable will be non-nil.  So it sounds like a more invasive
change.