Re: Indexed search with grep-like output

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Indexed search with grep-like output
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 11:22:35 +0100

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 1:15 AM, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> All things being equal, I'd rather add a package that has abstractions
>>> to work with various indexers, than one that only works for one
>>> particular kind of indexer.
>> If it wasn't clear, that's what I was suggesting by "extend".  I just
>> think that id-utils.el will be a good starting point,
>
> Oh, I see, I had misunderstood.  Good, then.

The current idutils.el does not contain much. It is just a
define-compilation-mode (which adds nothing but adds one keyword) and
a a command gid which just does compilation-start (and does some
things that belongs to define-compile-command).

But since Eli says idutils are good (and I do not doubt that) I
started looking at it. I thought there was no binary download (it is
not mentioned on the GNU Id Utils home page at all), but there is one
in gnuwin32.

I installed that and tried it. However it either crashes or says
something like this

  C:\>mkid -o OUTFILE DIR
  mkid: can't get working directory: Permission denied

Eli, can you tell me what binary you are using and how you run mkid?