RE: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 19:01:54 -0800

> I must say I am surprised that it seems to work, at least sometimes.
> It is not guaranteed to work, but it might work much more often than I
> expect. However try this procedure:
>
>    emacs -Q
>    M-e:   (w32-register-hot-key [M-tab])
>    f1-c M-tab
>
> This starts the windows Alt-Tab application switching.
> Now go back to the Emacs instance and try "f1-c M-tab" again.
> Now it works.

(I assume you meant `M-:', not `M-e:'.)

Maybe someone can give a good reason why it doesn't work the first time.  If
not, please file a bug.

Note that this use of `M-tab' is a bit special: you are not invoking it, you are
asking about the binding.  That might have something to do with the problem
here.  I have never had Windows app switching get activated when I have invoked
`M-tab'.

> Something seems out of order here, but you are anyway right in that it
> kind of works and probably is useful. But it is not guaranteed to
> work.

Little in this world is guaranteed to work.