Re: DocView now supports OpenDocument & MS Office formats

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: DocView now supports OpenDocument & MS Office formats
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 03:18:23 -0500

> From: Tassilo Horn <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 08:38:38 +0100
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> > In principle, writing ODF support in Emacs Lisp would be
> > preferable, but that's a gigantic job and it might run too slowly.
>
> Indeed.  But IMO emacs is not really a WYSIWYG editor, and doesn't want
> to be one anyway.

Actually, Emacs does want to have at least specialized mode(s) that are
WYSIWYG.  The beginning is in enriched-mode, and there's this entry in
etc/TODO:

  ** Program Enriched mode to read and save in RTF.  [Is there actually a
    decent single definition of RTF?  Maybe see info at
    http://latex2rtf.sourceforge.net/.]  This task seems to be addressed
    by http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/emacs-rtf/, which is still in
    very early stages.

Volunteers are welcome.

> But there are some tools that convert from markup
> languages emacs support to OpenDocument, like for example docbook2odf.

Personally, I generally dislike features that require me to install
gazillions of other packages.  But that's me; the world seems to move
in the opposite direction.  See it as a rant of an old-timer.