About custom themes

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: About custom themes
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 22:02:36 +0100

Hi all,

I have sets of face customization that I've just converted into custom
themes.  I really like the idea of theming emacs conveniently, and the
initial conversion worked flawlessly.  Thanks a lot, Chong!

Basically, my themes are one theme with a light and a dark incarnation,
stepwise adjusted over the time and wrt. the emacs stuff I use (I have
to switch between light and dark colors every now and then to not get
bored).

I think that the themes are somewhat nice and maybe others like them,
too, so I consider putting them in etc/themes.  Would that be ok?

OTOH, users might want that themes are more or less fixed, i.e., themes
don't change a face over the time, but only evolve by extension (include
more faces).

So how about adding specially named themes

  dev-<username>-[<themename>-]theme.el,

which are themes people contributing to Emacs are using at that point of
time?  I think it would be fun to try out

  dev-rms-theme.el    ;; the empty/nil theme using less than 2 colors
  dev-acm-theme.el    ;; angry fruit salad

and so forth. ;-)

WDYT,
Tassilo