Re: online conversion support from xsd to rng?

From: Štěpán Němec
Subject: Re: online conversion support from xsd to rng?
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 01:06:35 +0100

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

>> I think there are two areas of primary concern:
>> (a) conversion between XML and Lisp trees (nested lists)
>> (b) routines for manipulating the tree
>
> Once you've converted XML to Lisp you lose all XML-level access,
> transformation,
> etc.  IOW, once in Lispland, no XPath, XQuery, XSLT,...  If your processing of
> XML also involves, well, XML processing (e.g. XQuery transformations) that is
> part of the given, then you've lost that.
>
> IOW, conversion to conses and processing using Lisp can be useful, but
> depending
> on your context there can be a cost.

This is nonsense. XPath and friends are not bound to the external
representation of the data in any way. They operate on the DOM tree. So
as long as your XML conversion to sexp format is lossless (which it
should be, of course), you lose nothing, only gain the advantages of
saner format (i.e. sexp) both for humans and the machine -- you just
need an XPath etc. implementation for your language.

  Štěpán