Re: How to remove verbosity from the data passing mechanism using alist

From: Fren Zeee
Subject: Re: How to remove verbosity from the data passing mechanism using alist or plist ?
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 15:08:37 -0800

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Chad Brown <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Dec 7, 2010, at 1:24 PM, Fren Zeee wrote:
>
>> The question is VERY CLEAR !!! and SPECIFIC at the LAST STAGE !!!
>
> Even with the CAPITAL LETTERS and the TRIPLE EXCLAMATION
> POINTS!!!, I still have no idea what you're trying to accomplish.
>
> Perhaps you would be helped by evaluating both of these in emacs:
>
>        (pp (list 1 2))
>        (pp (cons 1 2))
>
> or perhaps:
>
>        (pp (list (list 1 2) (list 3 4)))
>        (pp (list (cons 1 2) (cons 3 4) (cons 5 6)))
>
> I say `perhaps', because I don't really know what you're trying to accomplish.

Its in the title
How to remove verbosity from the data passing mechanism using alist or plist ?

> I hope that helps,
> *Chad

Yes it helped, but I cant honestly see the difference between
(a . b)  <--- from cons
and
(a b)    <--- from list

both seem to be dotted pair although the dot is implicit in the second.

We are getting to the heart of the thing, ie concept, although the
problem is solved in that I have the answer

(assoc-default 1 (list (list 1 2) (list 3 4) (list 5 6)))
------>  (2)  so I need xtra car verbose
(assoc-default 1 (list (cons 1 2) (cons 3 4) (cons 5 6)))    ------>
2    so I dont need xtra car

Mercifully, the earlier flame-bait was ignored.

Thanks Chad.

P.S.
Now, lets see if you or someone can look at other points mentioned by
Thien to remove the verbosity such as below or Thien's first reply of
Dec 6.

() Fren Zeee <address@hidden>

() Mon, 6 Dec 2010 07:41:21 -0800

  > less piecewise-constructive and more table-oriented.

  I would certainly need a toy example or even ask for taking this
  example and showing me how to do it. I am not familiar with this
  table-oriented approach.

I would rather help you understand those words than show you how to
apply them.  (This is more work for both of us, initially, but less
work in the long run.)  What do you think of when you read them?