Re: [emacs-bidi] Treatment of LRE,RLE,LRO,RLO,PDF,LRM,RLM

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Treatment of LRE,RLE,LRO,RLO,PDF,LRM,RLM
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 07:26:15 -0500

> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 12:57:27 +0900
>
> >  . changed TTY display top enclose U+nnnn and "empty box" displays in
> >    "[]", to simulate a box and make the display easier to read.
>
> For U+NNNN, I decided not to use "[]" because it takes too
> many columns.  I thought underline or some background color
> (customizable through a face) was enough.  Don't you think 8
> columns (instead of 6 columns) is annoying?

It is annoying allright, but [U+1234][U+5678] is more readable than
U+1234U+5678.  However, if others disagree, I can change that back.

> >  . documented this feature in NEWS and in the manual.
>
> I dared not write that because I have not yet made my mind
> which is better; current glyphless-char-display or extending
> the normal display-table.

By the way, one other issue is that display tables take precedence
over glyphless-char-display, in the sense that characters for which
there are non-trivial entries in the current display table are
displayed using the display table, disregarding any
glyphless-char-display-control settings.  If this is what we want, we
should probably document that.