Re: rainbow-mode

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: rainbow-mode
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 08:44:35 -0600

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 15:22:09 +0100 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
wrote:

LMI> To get back to the example at hand, rainbow-mode, it's something that I
LMI> would use, and the repeated reimplementation of the same functionality
LMI> shows that it's something that other people would use, too.  That's my
LMI> argument for including it in Emacs.  What are the counter-arguments?

Discussion is archived here:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/127873

You saw some of the arguments:

> "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden> writes:

> > IIRC, the most recent discussion concluded that none of the half-
> > implemented modes is good enough, especially given the nice features
> > in the other half-implemented modes, and nobody stepped up to the
> > plate to merge them, document the result, and make sure the result
> > conforms to coding standards etc.

Plus Chong Yidong explained in this thread and in
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/127873/focus=128245

Basically none of the authors wanted to merge their mode with the
others.  Julien added enough to rainbow-mode.el to make it the best
choice but it's still not superior to css-color-mode.el in every way.

FWIW my vote is still for rainbow-mode.el as follows: I think it's most
useful in its current form out of all the contenders.  I would put it in
the core Emacs because editing CSS and HTML (plus other languages with
inlined colors) is so common.  The color transformation functions it has
are generally useful.  I would also give it first-class customization
variables so it's really easy to turn it on.  Finally, it's pretty
unlikely to undergo big changes at this point.

Maybe it could get renamed, I don't care too much.  The current name is
quite memorable though.

Ted