Re: elpa.gnu.org policy

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: elpa.gnu.org policy
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 15:06:59 -0700

>>>>> "Lars" == Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:

Lars> Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but it sounds to me like you're
Lars> saying that if a package is in ELPA, then the maintainer has
Lars> (implicitly) committed themselves to support older versions of Emacs in,
Lars> sort of, perpetuity.  (Well, for a long time.)

A package can have a minimum emacs version dependency.
Users with an older emacs won't be able to install that package.
I think this will be ok in practice as long as most maintainers don't
constantly bump their minimum requirement to the absolute newest.

Tom