The window-pub branch (was Re: bug#7381: 24.0.50; Provide a hook run whe

From: Štěpán Němec
Subject: The window-pub branch (was Re: bug#7381: 24.0.50; Provide a hook run when a window is selected)
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 13:51:42 +0100

martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:

[moving this to emacs-devel]

>> Well, I did checkout that branch (I'm using the Git mirror), but it
>> seems to include much more changes than `window-use-time' and
>> `get-mru-window', and the last merge from trunk is from 30. October.
>
> The last time I merged from trunk and pushed back was yesterday so maybe
> the Git mirror hasn't been updated yet.
>
>> You
>> mean you'd like to merge it into the trunk as a whole in the near
>> future, so you're looking for more testers?
>
> I need people who confim that it doesn't break their daily workflow
> before merging anything into the trunk.

Alright... I built it and was going to use it, but I hit one
show-stopper immediately: the `split-{height,width}-threshold' variables
seem to be ignored: I have the former set to 80, the latter to 150 and
`pop-up-windows' to t, but with window-pub a 59x158 window is
split vertically, making Emacs pretty much unusable for me.

The docstrings state that the above variables are obsolete and one
should use `display-buffer-names' etc., but I have no idea how to get
the previous correct behaviour (I assume messing with `min-width' and
similar inside `display-buffer-names' might be the way to go, but I
don't see why the obsolete variables should not be respected when the
new ones are nil by default anyway).

  Štěpán