Re: ns-win.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ns-win.el
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 03:47:23 -0400

> From: Glenn Morris <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 02:45:13 -0400
> Cc: Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> > On the other hand, they were moved from menu-bar.el TO ns-win.el
> > during the merge. It was desired to keep these platform-specific
> > things in the platform-specific file rather than cluttering up
> > common files, and I've come to agree myself this is the best way.
>
> Whoops. I have to say I disagree, since it is more work to change the
> menus after they are defined, and it means requiring easymenu in the
> dumped ns Emacs; and this means putting it in the DOC file for every
> platform. I also find it much easier to see all the menu definitions at
> one place rather than have them scattered over multiple files.

FWIW, I agree.  There's no need to limit platform-specific stuff to
just a handful of platform-specific files.  We have a lot of platform
conditionals in many common Lisp files, and I see nothing wrong with
that.  By contrast, looking in *-win.el for something belonging to the
menu bar would be counter-intuitive, IMO.