Re: comment-dwim does not do what I mean

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: comment-dwim does not do what I mean
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 16:35:31 -0400

> I don't have transient-mark-mode switched on.
> If I set the mark somewhere, and I then hit `M-;', then the region is no
> longer commented out like it used to be.

> Is this meant to work this way, or is it just a bug?

M-; can't guess whether the mark you set was placed there because you
intend to get back there at some point, or because you intend to operate
on the region.
So you need to tell M-; which it is, and you do that by controlling the
"active"-ness of the region.  So C-SPC C-SPC ... M-; should do, as will
... C-u C-x C-x M-;

        Stefan