Re: testing framework and package.el

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: testing framework and package.el
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 18:03:00 +0900

Stefan Monnier writes:

 > That makes a lot of sense to me (except for the unacceptable use of
 > a capital letter in a filename, which I assume you only put there as
 > a form of provocation).

Excuse me?  /usr/local/src is *my* property; Emacs or any other
application can make rules about its internal structure, but the name
of *my* Emacs workspace is none of your business. :-)

Note that it matters that this is *my* repo, because it might just be
me that likes this setup.  If other developers are *not* in the habit
of keeping all their Emacs workspaces in one directory, then my
proposal makes less sense (because both Emacs and the build scripts
may need extra, possibly fragile, logic to find the tests).  (I would
still favor it, but I couldn't say that people who organize their
branches differently, and prefer a different location for "tests", are
wrong.)  By the same logic, although I'm glad you agree with me (or
vice versa, if you prefer ;-), I think you should wait for a bit more
discussion before pronouncing.

Also note that you don't have to structure the shared repo the same
way, although in Bazaar that seems like the most logical way to do
it.

Lastly, nested branches will show up at some point (in the next year
or so), and then it will be possible to nest a common test directory
in the Emacs source directory, with attendant simplification of
Makefile and Emacs' test-file-finding logic.