Re: What does Emacs on w32 know that grep can't figure out?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: What does Emacs on w32 know that grep can't figure out?
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 06:10:14 +0200

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Lennart Borgman
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 5:23 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> From: Thierry Volpiatto <address@hidden>
>>> Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 17:05:18 +0200
>>> Cc: address@hidden

>>> That's just an idea i sent, i personally don't use (or really few
>>> sometimes on other machines) windows systems and i have just a basic
>>> knowledge of all that is related to it and microsoft in general (e.g
>>> Powershell).
>>> So i can't help you much here.
>>> Anyway, Eli seem to have tried it and is not convinced.
>>
>> Looks like the PowerShell cmdlet that's supposed to be equivalent of
>> Grep is Select-String.
>
> Yes, thanks. And that actually works with utf-16.
>
> So now we have a strange situation.

Or maybe not. Looking at the documentation for Select-String here

  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd315403.aspx

it does not look as it autodetects the coding system in the file.

It does not even say it can handle utf-16, or at least I can't find
it. Maybe someone who understands this better can see it there?