Re: Emacs and TLS support

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Emacs and TLS support
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:02:05 -0500

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 18:22:24 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
wrote:

LMI> Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden> writes:
>> Does Emacs use -lgnutls (BROKEN)?                       yes
>> [...]
>>
>> Why '(BROKEN)'?

LMI> The tls support doesn't currently work.  So if you try to use it, you'll
LMI> find that it's broken.

Yeah, I couldn't find a better way of saying "it should work but Ted
couldn't figure out why handshaking fails" :)

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 17:32:10 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
wrote:

LMI> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

>> gnutls: handshake: handshaking
>> gnutls.el: (err=[-9] A TLS packet with unexpected length was received.)
>> handshake: nil
>> Ouch, error return -9 (A TLS packet with unexpected length was received.)
>> nil
>> Mark set [2 times]

LMI> (open-ssl-stream "tls" "tls-buffer" "imap.gmail.com" "imaps")

LMI> Yes, I'm getting the same:

LMI> gnutls.el: (err=[gnutls-e-again] Resource temporarily unavailable, try
again.) handshake: nil
LMI> gnutls: handshake: handshaking [2 times]
LMI> gnutls.el: (err=[-15] An unexpected TLS packet was received.) handshake:
nil
LMI> Ouch, error return -15 (An unexpected TLS packet was received.)

I stepped through the GnuTLS function calls and couldn't find a problem
with the credential structures.  It's frustrating that the exact same
code works for the example client in GnuTLS but breaks in Emacs (most of
my time debugging this was spent double-checking that the same functions
are called with the same parameters in both cases).

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 17:16:28 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
wrote:

LMI> address@hidden writes:

>> | gcc: @LIBGNUTLS_CFLAGS@: No such file or directory

LMI> Ok; I've now fixed this, and am checking in now.

Thanks!

Ted