Re: SOAP support in Emacs

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: SOAP support in Emacs
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 10:31:59 +0200

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Yes, I know, everybody hates SOAP, but it was suggested that Gnus could
>> have a debbugs interface, so that it would be more convenient to browse,
>> answer and close bugs in the Emacs bug tracker.
>>
>> And apparently debbugs has a SOAP interface, of all things, that allows
>> you to get the meta-data necessary to download all the individual bug
>> mboxes.  So I googled for "emacs soap", and found this:
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/emacs-soap-client/
>>
>> And it looks fine.  A candidate for inclusion in Emacs, if the author
>> signs over the copyright to the FSF?  (I haven't been in contact with
>> the author yet.)
>
> Michael Albinus was working on a package, xesam-debbugs.el, that was
> supposed to do this:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-01/msg00809.html

Since the XESAM project is stalled (not accepted by major search engine
providers), I've restarted my work last summer, writing an nnbts.el
package for integration into Gnus. Slow progress only, the D-Bus and
Tramp issues keep me busy. And there's also a real life.

FTTB I use soap.el from <http://oconnor.cx/elisp/soap.el>, which is less
than rudimentary. Needed SOAP functions are implemented in nnbts.el, but
it would be much better to have a *real* SOAP library.

>>> The package is unfinished. I lost interested when I found out, that
>>> the SOAP interface of debbugs does not support sorting (which is
>>> inconvenient for a larger number of bugs returned).
>>>
>>> However, it might be worth to continue the work?
>
> I'm guessing the necessary changes to the SOAP interface alluded to by
> Michael will require work on the server side.  If either you or Michael
> are interested in poking around debbugs.gnu.org for this purpose, just
> shoot me an email.

3-2-1-START. Email successfully shot.

Best regards, Michael.