Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 94, Issue 89

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 94, Issue 89
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 18:08:35 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> -  int frame_lines = FRAME_LINES (frame);
>> +  EMACS_INT frame_lines = FRAME_LINES (frame);
>
> I think down that lane lies madness, because we have lots of struct
> members that are Lisp integers, and assigning the result of XINT of
> every one of them to an EMACS_INT will significantly and unnecessarily
> increase our stack usage (on 64-bit machines).

I think text_lines and related members of `struct frame' should be ints.
Dunno why they were made EMACS_INT, though it happened long ago, before
Emacs-21.

I doubt there is much practical difference, only a conceptual one; IMO
the "EMACS_INT" cast is a nice way to denote that an integer may have to
do with buffer and string sizes.

I don't feel strongly about it, though.