Re: Buffer size limitation in insdel.c

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Buffer size limitation in insdel.c
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 12:59:56 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> It hides bugs, if nothing else.  But I understand people prefer to
> keep it for now, for fear that Emacs will break completely on 64-bit
> hosts.  The problem is that no one seems to be working on fixing those
> bugs.

There were no comments on my -Wconversion post, so I thought there was
no interest in making the int/EMACS_INT overflows go away.

The bugs are trivial to find with -Wconversion, and most of them are
easy enough to fix.  But some may be more subtle?

A methodology to fix this up with be for us to compile with
-Wconversion, pick a file, any file, to work on, fix all the
-Wconversion warnings in that file, and then see if Emacs still works.

Then check in and move on to the next file.  :-)

I'm up for taking a few files, but I'm not up for doing all 5400
warnings.  (Although there are probably fewer things to be fixed.  int a
= PV; a = Z; will probably give two warnings?  So one fix will kill one
or more warnings.)

  address@hidden * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen