C-x C-x (was: C-d deleting region considered harmful)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: C-x C-x (was: C-d deleting region considered harmful)
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 00:09:47 +0200

So, I think we agree that we should change the active-region deletion so
it only happens for `delete' and not for C-d.
Good.  We're just waiting for someone to cobble up
a corresponding patch.

Now for the spinoff thread that keeps spinning off other ones: I'd be
willing to decouple C-x C-x from "(re)activate the region", but then we
need to find some other way to reactivate the region.
Suggestions welcome.  Of course there's C-u C-x C-x, but I don't find it
very appealing (just like C-u C-x C-x doesn't sound too appealing to
people who currently want to exchange-mark-and-point without activating
the region).

        Stefan