Re: long-standing set-up errors on upgrade (elimination of x cut buffers

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: long-standing set-up errors on upgrade (elimination of x cut buffers)
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 00:04:24 +0200

> Unless something changes, I would guess that ``typing replaces selection''
> will be the default behavior in a future Emacs release.

While it's always a possibility, I don't expect it to happen any time
soon.  Deleting the active region in response to backspace or delete is
appreciated by many people and hurts relatively little (tho it does hurt
occasionally), so it's a tradeoff we're willing to make in Emacs-24.
But for "typing replaces the selection", the pain is a good bit higher,
so I'd only expect it to happen if/when we get transient-mark-mode to
a state where everyone can live with it, which seems like it's not going
to happen any time soon.

        Stefan