Re: C-d deleting region considered harmful

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: C-d deleting region considered harmful
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 23:21:06 +0900

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> I propose removing this functionality from C-d.  If mac/windows users
>> want to delete a region, they can use DEL (backspace).
>
> There's no DEL key on Windows, only <Delete>, which is remapped to
> C-d.  Maybe the command should distinguish whether it was run by C-d
> or <Delete>, and behave differently wrt the active region.

"DEL" is emacs-speak for "backspace" on typical PC keyboards.

> Deleting an active region with Backspace is a bad idea, IMO: that's
> not how other apps behave, while this feature exists to be compatible
> with other apps.

Hmm, are you sure?  I thought Backspace was _the_ traditional
delete-a-region key on macs and windows -- it certainly is on the mac
anyway (since forever), and I'm pretty sure that's also what I use to
delete stuff when I use a windows system... (since windows derived most
of its basic keybindings from the mac, it would be ery surprising if it
weren't the same)

-Miles

--
gravity a demanding master ... soft soft snow