Re: Remote display-time-mail-file

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Remote display-time-mail-file
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 08:47:11 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how this can help.  For
> starters, time.el needs Tramp to check the remote every time, so the
> cache just gets in the way.
>
> For other use-cases, I wonder how can the cache validity be limited in
> terms of time.  Files are modified by programs that access them, not
> because some amount of time has passed.  How will a Lisp program that
> accesses remote files know which number of seconds to set in this
> variable?  What am I missing?

When a remote file is accessed, there are a lot of primitive file name
operations called several times, for example file-attributes. Even if
the timeout is just 10" it will save time, because only the first
file-attributes call needs to go remote.

And if the timeout is customizable, users can decide about the
settings. In my use cases I'm happy with enabled cache all the time.

Best regards, Michael.