Re: e and pi

From: Helmut Eller
Subject: Re: e and pi
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 18:18:25 +0200

* Chong Yidong [2010-09-17 15:50] writes:

> This doesn't sound right---it means that people will have to make sure
> their function args do not coincide with any defvar, defined anywhere.
> It won't just be "e" and "pi" causing problems.  Someone might write
>
>   (defun froob (argv)
>      (lambda (f) (cons f argv)))
>
> and have that fail, because "argv" is a defvar defined in startup.el.

I once had a function with an argument called system-name.  Suddenly
Emacs started to complain that some files are locked by some other user.
How many people now that system-name is a global variable and used by
the file-locking code?  The lesson is that Emacs should not pre-define
global variables with names that are likely candidates for local
variables.

Helmut