Re: revno 101399 fails to build

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: revno 101399 fails to build
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 17:52:59 +0200

>> > In toplevel form:
>> > calc/calc-help.el:30:1:Error: Required feature `calc-ext' was not provided
>>
>> Do you build with more that one job in parallel?  In this case it can
>> happen that one emacs process writes out the elc file while another one
>> is reading the same (partial) file at the same time.  To fix that the
>> creation of the elc file need to be made atomic.

> Or specify explicit dependencies in the Makefile.  Or get Emacs to
> generate such dependencies given the `require's.

BTW, I did play with that a long time ago and the result was that it
works to some extent but it's not enough: many dependencies come from
autoloaded functions/macros, there are circular require-dependencies,
many dependencies come from preloaded files without any `require'
in sight.
Maybe a more promising direction is to let the byte-compiler emit
dependencies as it goes, just like gcc can do.

        Stefan