Re: `about-emacs' - what about the revno?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: `about-emacs' - what about the revno?
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 04:41:20 -0400

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 09:45:22 +0200

> >> The parent branch of my main work branch is not "trunk", so while this
> >> may work for your particular workflow, it won't DTRT for all workflows.
> > But then what exactly is the definition of "ancestor"?  I took it in
> > bzr terms for the current branch, but now it seems you had something
> > different in mind.  What is it?
>
> The same definition as the one for "-r ancestor:...", i.e. an ancestor
> of the current revision is a revision that's part of the current
> revision's history.

I'm confused: there are any number of revisions that match this
definition.  You wanted just one.

Put it another way: AFAIU, "-r ancestor:" _requires_ a branch
specifier.  Which branch do you want to specify there?  I assumed it
was the parent of the current branch.  If you want the trunk instead,
we could either use http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/trunk
(requires a live connection and Savannah being up) or we could chase
the parent pointers until we find a branch whose parent is on
Savannah.

But it sounds like this is academic: it will be too slow to be a part
of the build, because "bzr version-info" is slow.