Re: `about-emacs' - what about the revno?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: `about-emacs' - what about the revno?
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 00:07:32 +0200

>> Actually, in the trunk we don't need anything but the revno, right?
> As far as it does not change, as it did on the past...

Supposedly it can't happen again.  In any case, if it does, it's
a problem in itself, so it's not relevant to this issue.

>> So the question is how to find the revno of the trunk from which the
>> current branch branched, right?
> How is it useful to know the common ancestor with the trunk? Does it
> help when the user is working with a branch containing local commits, or
> with the clone of a feature branch?

Yes, it helps to know which patches from trunk are in his branch.
Of course, there's still the unknown of his local patches, but that's
another issue (we can add a "bzr diff -r ancestro:... | wc" to the
revno info to indicate how far it is to the vanilla code).

        Stefan