Re: GPM and mouse highlight

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: GPM and mouse highlight
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 07:34:20 -0400

> Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 10:30:56 +0200
> From: Jan Djärv <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
> > 1) Is there some fundamental limitation of GPM that prevents it from
> > supporting more than a single device at a time?
>
> It can support several devices at the same time.  If you are running on two
> different machines there is no problem.  On the same machine however, GPM
> selection acts like X selection, i.e. if you select something in terminal 1
> and then later in terminal 2, the selection in terminal 1 is removed. AFAIK,
> there can only be one GPM process per machine (per mouse really).

Thanks.  However, it looks like there's a small misunderstanding here.
I didn't mean mouse selections, I meant mouse highlight when the mouse
pointer hovers above mouse-sensitive text.  We have such highlight in
Info, for example, where moving pointer above menu items and
cross-references changes the mouse cursor and highlights the
mouse-sensitive portion of the text.

You can have this in any buffer by evaluating the following
expression:

  (put-text-property N M 'mouse-face 'highlight)

for two buffer positions N and M.  Moving the mouse above the
specified portion of text will make the text stand out.

Suppose we have several TTY devices open in the same Emacs session.
Can GPM support mouse highlight on more than a single device in such a
session?

> > 2) If the answer to the previous question is NO, then should we add
> > the mouse-highlight related variables to struct tty_display_info on
> > Unix as well?
> >

> Sounds like the right thing to do to me.

Is this also true for the mouse highlight I described above?