Re: Key bindings proposal

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 23:38:37 +0100

>> Shouldn't this be part of CUA mode?  If the CUA standard defines this
>> functionality then probably it should be enabled with CUA mode.
>
> I think CUA-mode is already way too overloaded and bloated with random
> functionality.

And there are no CUA-mode parts that could be shared - there is
no delay between key presses (like cua-prefix-override-inhibit-delay),
and activating the top-level doesn't depend on the region being active
(like in CUA).

The only idea that could be taken from CUA-mode is using the SHIFT key
to override the menu activation.

Actually, this is what Gnome Terminal already does
when "Enable menu access keys" is enabled:

- M-b moves backward one word (since there is no menu with the
  accelerator "B");
- M-f activates the top-level File menu;
- S-M-f moves forward one word.

The same could be implemented in Emacs (not by default, of course).

> To the extent it's possible, it seems far better to have
> an independent mode.

A mode or a variable?  XEmacs just goes with a customizable variable
`menu-accelerator-enabled'.