Re: document package.el

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: document package.el
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 08:07:04 +0100

On 8/27/2010 12:27 AM, Juri Linkov wrote:

I guess we need something like `require',
e.g. (package-require FEATURE&optional FILENAME NOERROR).

So you could put in your .emacs:

   (package-require 'company)
   (package-require 'js2-mode)
   (package-require 'rainbow-mode)

and it will take care of installing and activating
your preferred packages on a new installation.

Separating out the .emacs issue, I think it would indeed be a good idea to have the preferred-package list stored somewhere so that we can use it for new installations.

There is the ~/.emacs.d/elpa/archives directory. Would it be possible to copy this to a new installation in order to tell package.el what to install?

To tell you the truth, I am quite unclear yet what package.el can do, not having seen a manual for it. Does it exist somewhere?

Cheers,
Uday