Re: base

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: base
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 21:04:48 +0200

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 19:35, Stephen J. Turnbull <address@hidden> wrote:

> Granted.  However, they're real for *all* DVCSes.

No, I don't think so. Perhaps Windows support on Bzr is not good, but
at least you don't need to be afraid of being insulted when you have
to report a bug.

> ISTM that while the
> Bazaar devs pay lip service to Windows issues, they don't go much
> beyond that (and some issues like SSH configuration on Windows just
> don't ever seem to go away).

I agree Bzr's Windows support could be better, but at least there are
regular updates and some attempt at fixing bugs.

> It implies both.

Thanks.

> I find your opinion hard to understand, however, because in basic,
> everyday usage git is *simpler* than bzr.  You have essentially the
> same number of commands, they do mostly the same things: init, clone
> (missing in bzr), add, rm, mv (optional in git), commit, status, diff,
> log, pull, push, branch, checkout (optional with different semantics
> in bzr), reset (no single equivalent in bzr), merge: total 15
> commands.

config, tag, remote, stash, reflog...

But the complain is not about the number of commands. It's about the
miriad options. "git help log" is a good example. Every time I have to
use one of the non-obvious command options and I have to check the
documentation I have a sudden urge of shooting someone.

> It's true that specification of revisions in git is unfamiliar.  But
> both hg and bzr have been forced to add git notation by popular
> demand.  And I think it would be very odd for someone who's familiar
> with operators like "nthcdr" (which is "~" in git revision notation)
> to complain about it.

Terseness is sometimes an advantage, sometimes no. A..B versus A...B. nuff said.

    Juanma