bzr send workflow (Was: Locks on the Bzr repository)

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: bzr send workflow (Was: Locks on the Bzr repository)
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 16:56:00 +0900

Bojan Nikolic writes:

 > As already much discussed, the problems people are experiencing are
 > basically due to many people trying to write (in some way) to the
 > same sftp://bzr.sv.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/trunk/ location via the
 > dumb sftp protocol.
 >
 > There are many ways around this, but one I did not see mentioned
 > (maybe I missed it) is using the bzr send command to send merge
 > "bundles" via email. This is the way bzr development itself worked
 > while I followed it, and I've used it on some of my own projects
 > too. I was always very impressed how well it worked.

I don't think this helps much.  The underlying problem for Emacs (and
other bzr-based projects on Savannah) is that Savannah doesn't want to
allow bzr+ssh until the Savannah admins understand the security
implications.  The Bazaar development workflow involves at least one
separate server application not yet available on Savannah (the pqm
Patch Queue Manager), and I can't imagine that installing that would
be any easier than upgrading already installed software to use a smart
server over ssh.