Re: No ChangeLog's (was: bzr send workflow)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: No ChangeLog's (was: bzr send workflow)
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 01:26:52 -0400

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 00:05:33 +0200
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > Since maybe I missed the discussion on this, I just wanted to ask if
> > this workflow has been considered and rejected?  If not, I'd be happy to
> > offer a more detailed summary of how it works and the advantages.
>
> Before we can switch to such a system, we need to get rid of the
> ChangeLog files (which are otherwise a constant source of spurious
> conflicts which make such a workflow impractical).  I haven't dared to
> enter this discussion yet.

Do we have the necessary infrastructure for ditching ChangeLog files?

Working on a complex feature could take quite some time, perhaps more
than a single Emacs session.  With ChangeLog's, one can keep the log
of changes in a disk file, which is persistent, and then reuse that
log at commit time.  What do we do instead when there are no ChangeLog
files?  Are there any commands that let us edit log messages for
future commits, keep their record, and use them conveniently when the
time comes to commit?