Re: Key bindings proposal

From: christian.lynbech
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 09:25:12 +0200

>>>>> "Chong" == Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

Chong> The current standard is used on all platforms: the key labelled
Chong> "Alt" on the keyboard is handled internally by Emacs as Meta.

Is this really correct?

It would appear to me (though I have admittedly not checked the source)
that emacs (under X11) uses as meta whatever modifier is assigned the
Meta_* keysym, at least when present (probably there is some fallback
mechanism). It just so happens that the standard modifier layout in most
GNU/Linux distributions associates the Meta keysym with the key labelled
"Alt".

I have for a long time used the windows key as my meta key and that I
have realised that simply by reshuffling the modifier keysyms via
xmodmap.

Christian Lynbech       | christian #\@ defun #\. dk
                                        - address@hidden (Michael A. Petonic)