Re: Selection changes in revno 100822

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Selection changes in revno 100822
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 00:42:20 +0100

On 14/08/10 23:58, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 23:33:31 +0100
From: David De La Harpe Golden<address@hidden>

On 14/08/10 23:16, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Does this mean I have no way of pasting from the primary selection
without using a mouse?

Yes, no way*, but x11 users don't generally expect to be able to.

Sounds strange,

It is, sorta, if you used x11 in the very distant past when things worked differently. Basically primary is now very de-emphasised. The relevant spec says:

"""
PRIMARY is an "easter egg" for expert users, regular users
can just ignore it; it's normally pastable only via
middle-mouse-click.
"""

Patches to make primary selection work 100% on Windows are very
welcome.

Hmm.

Honestly, I'm sorry I chimed in at all, a few hours ago you seemed to agree on some more sensible behaviour, so whatever I said I managed to change your mind, which is most unfortunate.

"""
It seems to me that on platforms that have only one selection (the
clipboard), selecting text should do nothing by default, while cutting
should set the clipboard.  And there should be a variable to
optionally set the clipboard when the text is selected.  (Do we
already have such a variable?)  Do you agree?
"""