Re: rename and clean unexec.c

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: rename and clean unexec.c
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 14:19:51 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 14:46:00 -0400

> >> That part's on me.
> >
> > I have a question here: do we want to strip unexcoff.c from everything
> > except what the MSDOS build needs?  That would mean any platform that
> > will need COFF support will have to look for the code in prior revnos.
> > I don't mind, assuming others think it's the right thing.  (Is it
>
> IMHO that's the right balance: it places the burden on (maybe) dealing
> with the code to whoever wants to do that in the future.
>
> > plausible that some future, e.g., mobile platform will use COFF?)
>
> Doubtful, every non-MAC, non-MS platform is ELF nowadays...

No MS platform ever used COFF, btw.  Windows uses pe-coff, which is
not exactly COFF.  The DJGPP project, which the DOS build uses,
produces COFF executables, but it needs a special loader to run it on
DOS, because DOS does not understand COFF.

> > And what to do with "#ifdef emacs" -- should I leave the !emacs
> > branches or delete them?
>
> Remove.

Done.

I left alone the "#ifdef MSDOS" parts, since I don't want this file to
support only the DOS build (as discussed in this thread).  I also left
alone a couple of lines specific to the a.out support.

In addition, I needed to remove a few lines of code that were
mistakenly left in the file when NO_REMAP was removed.

For the record, the question I asked on the GDB forum regarding a
possibility that some other platforms use or will use COFF, and the
which you can read here:

  http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb/2010-08/msg00040.html