Re: The copyright issue

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: The copyright issue
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 15:50:22 +0200

> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 12:00, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> My reading is that, in his perfect world, the GNU Hurd would have the
>> popularity that Linux currently enjoys.
>
> Yes.
>
>> He did not state for what
>> reason or motive the users of that world would have chosen it.
>
> Pitfalls and all, it is based on a stronger technical foundation
> (though of course Linux has evolved a lot from its almost-Minix days).
> It is GNU. And it's not from Linus. These are all positives in my
> view.

I don't see anything inherently problematic in software being under
control of strong-headed people with different views and values than my
own as long as I get to do with it what I want.

I use Emacs, after all.  And certainly not because that makes me feel
closer to all those fantastic easy-going people that give it that
hipster flair.

Get real.  Those people port Emacs to Apple computers.  That's sort like
mounting an accordion bass inside of a violin.  Ok, a violin sucks at
self-accompaniment (Bach's solo cantatas and partitas are more proof
than counterexample if you actually try playing them) and polyphony.
You can't really use it as sole instrument.  But it is a thing of
beauty, not of self-sufficiency.

I lent my violin to my mother.  It weighs less than a bottle of beer and
was made the year Bismarck was born.  My accordion weighs more than a
case of beer and was made five years before I was born.

But it has a lot of buttons to press.  And some levers you won't easily
find somewhere else.  It was not built for me, and both its constructor
as well as its original recipient are long dead, but that's not
something I worry about as long as I get to put my hands on it.  It's a
beast to maintain.  I had it open just this morning.  Maybe I need to
replace a few valves eventually.

I am not worried that Linux is being managed by Linux Torvalds.  He is
doing a reasonably good job.  And I get to put my hands on it.  Because
others are doing a reasonably good job making GNU and a lot of other
stuff run on it.  And I get to put my hands on most of that, too.

So maybe I lost track of my point.  But if I left a mark, C-x C-x should
be all I need.

--
David Kastrup