Re: Key bindings proposal

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 09:48:41 +0100

Juanma Barranquero writes:

> I almost never use the Windows key to open the Start menu (strangely
> enough I tend to use the mouse for that). But I use it a lot for Run
> (W+r), Explorer (W+e), W+tab and the many Windows 7 W+cursor
> functions.

That is nice.  I never expected to be learning so much about Windows
on the emacs-developers list!

However, if everybody can recall the reason we got to this point,
Lennart and I think that keyboard access to the Emacs menubar is
important.  Alt+letter is the normal mechanism on Windows to provide
such keyboard access.

One objection to making Alt+letter available in Emacs is that Alt is
normally used as the Meta-key, which is important for Emacs use.

So, those of us that find keyboard access to menubar important have to
use some other key as the Meta-key.  Windows logo key is the natural
choice.  We might have to give up the standard Windows key
functionality in doing so.  But we think that the other two needs,
viz., (a) keyboard access to menus and (b) the Emacs meta-key
functionality, take priority.

Emacs doesn't have to many any decisions for us.  It is just being
asked to provide two options

  w32-lwindow-as-meta, w32-rwindow-as-meta

which can be used to treat Windows keys as meta-keys.

It that can be agreed, that would end this part of the discussion.
(Phew!)

Cheers,
Uday