Re: Key bindings proposal

From: Stuart Hacking
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 18:38:23 +0100

On 4 Aug 2010, at 17:19, Tom wrote:

> Uday S Reddy <u.s.reddy <at> cs.bham.ac.uk> writes:
>>
>>> In Emacs you have key bindings and M-x, no need for menus.
>>
>> Yes, that is one "language".  Nobody denies that!
>>

> Which brings the question: is Emacs only targeted to English-speaking
> users? Internationalization is a natural feature of modern software.

Just a few thoughts:

Won't we encounter problems due to much of Emacs' UI being closely tied to the
underlying source code?

Even in software that is localised, the source code is usually in English.
Emacs goes a step further by
having much documentation written inline with the code.

A lot of the emacs documentation comes from source code doc-strings, command
names, arguments. As I see it, we
could at best hope for partial localisation. It would be a large effort
 to achieve 100%.

Tasks (and issues):

* Translate Info Files

        There's a lot of this type of documentation for the manuals, but
translating it wouldn't impact
functionality.

* Translate function documentation

        Documentation strings are inline with the actual code. Thus,
translation would
mean either duplicating all the libraries (no), separating the documentation
from the
code (no), or keeping the English documentation with the code, but translating
it and implementing
a build process that will do the compile time substitution?

* Translate the function names

        Probably not even necessary.

* Translate the menu items and other UI strings

        Are any of these generated from function names? For inline strings,
perhaps they could be
extracted - but would this make it harder to read the code? Perhaps the same
suggestion as the
inline documentation applies? (leaving the english, but implementing a string
substitution process)

I think there would be not insignificant changes to the build process and
possibly some re-architecturing where
string management is concerned. Is there a big demand for localisation?

--Stuart