Re: Key bindings proposal

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 17:21:01 +0200

[snip]

> IDE is *really* important to Java programmers as I understand it
> because of restrictions of the language.

No. IDEs are becoming more and more important for developers because
they are improving productivity through smart completion, refactoring
support, live checks, tight integration with other tools (debuggers,
analyzers of various sorts) etc. Java/Eclipse was one of the first to
get there, because the language is specially amenable to that sort of
features and has lots of money backing it, but others are following
suit.

[snip]

> Emacs provides neither very well, and CEDET, while very nice, is
> unlikely to ever catch up to Eclipse.

This is not necessarily so. As the author of CEDET explained a few hours
ago, the package can interface with external tools for providing all
sorts of information. Build an open interface to Eclipse internals
(maybe there is already one?) and you have all the potential of Eclipse
in Emacs. Once achieved that, you only need to do the UI work (which is
not trivial, but certainly doable.)

[snip]