Re: Key bindings proposal

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 23:06:31 +0900

Andreas Schwab writes:
 > Uday S Reddy <address@hidden> writes:
 >
 > > Further, I don't think the argument has validity.  You don't have to
 > > "remember" the menu entries.  You can see them!
 >
 > You have to remember where to search, and do search for them.  And if
 > you change the language you are screwed.  What a stupid concept.

If you're depending on muscle memory, indeed.

But as George Carlin put it, "They ask me what I think of the dope
problem.  I think we definitely have too many dopes!"  There are
dope-y users, or, more precisely, users who (think they) have better
use for time and brain cells (or even peripheral ganglia aka muscle
memory) than memorizing Emacs keystrokes.  I think those users should
be served.

Where I differ from Uday is that it is my considered opinion (subject
to change given good evidence, but I don't expect to encounter such
:-) that there's no particular reason for *Emacsen* to do so.  It
happens that Ben Wing disagreed with me and put in many hours to
implement accelerators and reorganize the menus, so (IMO) I not only
won the argument (it didn't bring more developer or that many new
users), but got a nice feature for XEmacs, too.  Without spending my
own time on it! :-)

Maybe Uday will do the same for Emacs. :-)