Re: Key bindings proposal

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 13:44:12 +0200

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 1:11 PM,  <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Yes, but it is not menu accelerators. Those are underlined chars in
>>> the menus. (At least on w32 all applications I know of have them,
>>> except Emacs.)
>>
>> But did you snip the part about how firefox does it here?
>>
>> Firefox does the same thing as emacs, it only uses "menu accelerators"
>> when it doesnt provide a specific keybinding.
>
> No. At least on w32 it normally shows both keyboard and menu
> accelerators in the menus. See the "View" submenu for example.
>
>> see the "organize bookmarks" example.
>
> That is a bit special since it is a list of your bookmarks.
>
> (Also a lot of add-ons in Firefox does not add menu accelerators the
> way the are supposed. Some add them when they should not and others
> omit them when they should add them.)
>
>> (As a side-note I always want to try to emacsify a program rather than
>> programify emacs, so I do understand the urge to arrive at a consistent
>> overall environment)
>
> Is not that quite a lot more work ... ;-)

>>> That is not the standard way to access menus (at least not on w32).
>>> You normally use the Alt key to access them. (Here too it is important
>>> to notice that with all applications I know of on w32 you can access
>>> menus that way. Except Emacs.)
>>> Maybe it is still good to tell about f10 since most non-Emacs users
>>> are not aware of that.
>>
>> I wasnt either. I sort of just stumbled about the keyboard to see if
>> something activated menu traversal :)
>>
>> Anyway, what would you do with emacs normal use of alt then?
>
> In my patched version of Emacs on w32 you can use the left and/or
> right window keys as alt instead.
>
> Some people here has said that this is just as bad since that
> overrides the normal use of those keys. I do not agree for two
> reasons:
>
> - microsoft has made it possible to override those keys totally, while
> you can not totally override the alt key.
> - using the alt key is far more common than using the windows key.
>
>> Should alt be an emacs event in itself? Maybe this is possible already?
>
> See above.
>
>> As another related side-note I would like to experiment with modal
>> keybindings
>> in Emacs, to implement something like ctrl-lock functionality. That
>> would I suppose be similar to your use-case for the alt key.
>
> Except that the window manager does not let you handle all key
> combinations with the Alt key. (You can not override for example
> Alt-Tab on w32. And that is a good thing in my opinion.)

My particular interest is not in making Emacs fit a particular WM such
as W32 or Metacity or Compiz. My interest is making Emacs be able to do
things a WM does, but more, for example "m-x
inkscape-set-object-fill-color". Anyway, that is stuff for another
thread, so I bow out of this thread now.

--
Joakim Verona